I am at one of those fork-in-the-road predicaments right now as my life continues to unfold and wend along God’s purpose highway. Of course it’s scary. Of course it’s full of uncertainty. Of course the fear monster keeps trying to steal the scene.
Surely I am not alone. Each and every believer is either moving toward or facing the same challenging decision point.
After praying again this morning for God’s discerning guidance, I started to write my own “Major Decision Guide” to help me process everything and pull the trigger the decision on my table right now. I resisted the urge to put a TOP 10… moniker on it, but I ended up with 10 steps/considerations that I have used in the past and I will use in over the next few weeks.
I want to share it with you here in its raw form. I did not polish it to make the words sound “just right.” What you’ll read below are my thoughts—in no particular order–that have helped me in the past and I hope will help you, too. Take a look…
- Am I worried too much about what others will think?
- Have I called on Godly counsel from my friends and family?
- Do I have all of the facts to consider all options and scenarios?
- What are my motives? Is there a sign of instant gratification anywhere?
- Have I honestly considered all of the decision’s likely outcomes and risks?
- What impact will this decision have on me telling my story and serving God?
- What story could God tell…would he tell…should he tell if I make this decision?
- Have I considered past experiences and identified my blind spots?
- Would my decision pass the “what if everybody could see” test?
- Am I truly waiting for God’s direction or procrastinating?
The final step cannot be on a “Top 10 list.” It is an imperative and the most important consideration in any major decision we make in life:
Have I sought solitude with God to check his Word; seek his direction; and surrender the decision to him?
I thank God for his gift of discerning power to direct my life. To give me the strength to seek it…and not get distracted by the world’s noise that would cloud my decision.
HOW ABOUT YOU?
Are you ready to make your next major life decision?
“God is our refuge and strength, always ready to help in times of trouble. So we will not fear when earthquakes come and the mountains crumble into the sea.” Psalm 41:1