The World Health Organization has just classified BURNOUT as an official diagnosis when stress has been mismanaged. Welcome to a new world of chasing the elusive “I want everything” dream.
It’s not a surprise. Burnout is an epidemic rolling through our culture like a bowling ball toppling vulnerable pins that can be knocked over on impact.
Burnout is mostly associated with the workplace and the materialistic chase it spawns. It’s easy for all of us to immediately visualize images of stressed-out automatons working 12-hour days, not sleeping enough, irritable, and MISERABLE.
But there is another version I call FAITH BURNOUT that does not require working long hours, sleep deprivation, and fixating on having everything. FAITH BURNOUT is a silent, stealthy saboteur sneaking up on its prey and extinguishing our commitment to grow in Christ.
It should NOT be this way!
Being intimately connected with Christ and walking in his unforced rhythms of grace should produce the OPPOSITE effect of burnout. God promises us rest—”His yoke is easy and his burden is light” (Matthew 11:28)—IF we seek him with all of our heart.
WARNING SIGNS OF FAITH BURNOUT
- Drifting away from God and losing the always-fresh joy of following Jesus.
- Not praying and losing motivation to grow spiritually as other priorities “win.”
- Exhibiting an irritable and negative attitude in your life day-in and day-out.
- Seeking spiritual perfection and shutting down when you realize it’s an illusion.
FIGHTING OFF FAITH BURNOUT
- Tell God EVERYTHING—all of your feelings and doubts and negativity.
- Take a small step toward re-connecting to God. Read his Word. Pray.
- Put time with God into your daily schedule as your top priority.
I ask God to keep me grounded in his Word so I don’t drift away from him and become a Faith Burnout casualty.
WHAT ABOUT YOU?
Has your faith been struck by the FAITH BURNOUT BOWLING BALL?
“Come with me by yourself to a quiet place and get some rest.” Mark 6:31